The original Lambs Elementary School (now called Hunley Park Elementary) was built in 1959 on part of the land which was once called Lambs Plantation. The plantation extended down to the Ashley River where phosphate rock was shipped downstream to Charleston for refining between the years of 1880 and 1900. Prior to the 1800’s, rice and cotton were the staple crops of the plantation.
Lambs was built to serve the housing area of Charleston Air Force Base. In 1962, a new Lambs Elementary School building was built (at this present location) to meet the overflow of students from military families. The original site of Lambs was then renamed Hunley Park.